Isn’t it great when you eat something that tastes so good you forget just how good for you it is?
I can think of approximately 10 foods that fall into this category, but none please me as much as garlic. We eat an inordinate amount of garlic, specifically roasted garlic. I tend to throw a few heads in the oven each time I make a cake or bake something that requires the oven to be on for at least 20 minutes. Then, we use the garlic that day, or the day following in a myriad of ways. I call it culinary multitasking at it’s best.
We have always fed garlic to the kids, so the strong and pungent taste is not offensive to them and they adore it now. Here’s a list of how we eat roasted garlic at our family table:
- Smear the roasted cloves onto pieces of sliced baguette and serve as the ‘carb’ portion of your dinner.
- Mash the roasted garlic and spread it over a baked potato in place of butter.
- Place garlic in a saucepan with some olive oil, diced onion and thyme. Sauté and then cover with chicken stock and simmer for 15 minutes. Purée and add a splash of cream. Makes a delicious soup.
- Serve 2 to 3 heads of garlic as a veggie. The kids will have fun fishing the cloves out of their skins.
- Toss cloves of roasted garlic with baby spinach, parmesan cheese and warm pasta for a quick and easy weeknight dinner.
- Mash the roasted garlic and combine with some mayo. Spread on bread and top with turkey, lettuce, avocado and swiss cheese for an open-faced sandwich.
- Combine roasted garlic cloves with chickpeas, lemon juice, olive oil and dill for a rustic hummus spread. Serve with assorted veggies.
- Combine roasted garlic cloves and olive oil and spread on pizza dough in place of traditional tomato sauce.
- Make a salsa with mashed roasted garlic, diced red pepper, feta cheese, green onion, oregano and olive oil. Serve with assorted crisps and crackers.
- Sauté roasted garlic cloves with any of the following: bok choy, asparagus, broccoli, green beans or snow peas (whatever your kids will happily nosh on).
Do you roast your garlic? Or do you have another multitasking ingredient in your kitchen?
Find the simple recipe here: Roasted Garlic
Similar Related Posts:
- January 15, 2018
APPLE SPICE MUFFINS: HEALTHY AND KID-APPROVED. PERFECT FOR LUNCHES
This recipe is terrific for lunches - or snacks, of course! They have lots of apples - shredded, with the skin on - so they're quick and easy - no peeling.