Posts from May 2012. Show all blog posts.
After a long weekend and a short week, there was a lot in my inbox to review. Here are five things that caught my attention this week.
1. Here’s an interesting pitch that came through this week—The Screaming O’s Studio Collection. These chic, discreet and super-powered multi-functioning vibrators and stimulant balms travel as an everyday, high-end make-up kit. Yes, I said vibrator. Because the busy mom apparently can’t leave home without one.
2. If you’re looking for more stimulation, you’ll be happy to learn (as I was) that coffee is back on the good-for-you list. According to a report from the New England Journal of Medicine, it really does make you live longer. Hurray! Something we like that we don’t have to feel guilty about. Here’s more on this good news.
3. ‘Pass the sugar, sugar’ was a popular turn of phrase in my house growing up—might get stuck on the socially unacceptable list soon. Sugar is becoming the new transfat (or the new salt). With the rising tide of childhood obesity, experts are looking for an answer—and a culprit. Sugar is one of them. Find out more about the sugary treats you’re eating in this post from our food editor.
4. My favourite pick by far from our recent Outdoor Toys Gallery is the BoBike. Cycling with a small child (in a rear carrier) in my day was much scarier as you couldn’t see what was happening behind you. I love that mom can see her toddler sitting in front and the shield that protects the child from any oncoming irritants. See, parents can stay active even with young children. Be an example for them so they don’t become a childhood obesity statistic.
5. In shocking bad parent news, I read on Babble.com about a case where parents locked their child in a dryer at a laundromat. Here is the video footage. It’s pretty awful to watch and begs the questions of why some people are parents. Sorry people, but I’m not afraid to judge this time. The video is dubbed ‘Epic Parent Fail.’ I would say so. According to reports, the child is fine and only has a few bumps and bruises.
If you’ve been reading the Globe and Mail, you might have read about the online retail revolution that’s coming to Canada, SHOP.CA, a made-in-Canada one-stop shopping site that’s promising free shipping, free returns, a huge selection of goods and services and even a loyalty program. They have over 850 retailers on board and will be offering 4000 brands and more than 15 million items. Now that’s what we call savvy shopping. We know that moms are going to love SHOP.CA because there will be no better way to cross all those little things off your list—whether it’s a birthday gift for the weekend’s worth of birthday parties, new running shoes for Junior’s gym class or new party shoes for mom—than with SHOP.CA
So to celebrate the upcoming launch of SHOP.CA (AKA mother’s little helper), we’re hosting a Twitter party in their honour, on Thursday, June 7 from 8 – 10 pm (ET).
Just RSVP below on the LinkyTool with your Twitter handle and link to your Twitter page for the party so we know to expect you (we’re collecting emails too so we can contact our various winners if needed). We’ll be giving away $1000 worth of SHOP.CA rewards online that evening, so join us for a chat about what you love about online shopping and get ready to get your SHOP on. We hope you can join us for our #SHOPsavvy Twitter party!