Even though it feels like old news already, I can’t ignore the headline grabbing TIME cover controversy. But there was so much more that caught my attention this week—like cottagedreams.ca, Savvy ‘momisms’, twitter parties and wall stickers.
1. If you haven’t been following the controversy over the cover of the most recent TIME Magazine, then it’s time to crawl out from under that rock. An image of a beautiful model-esque mother in her twenties with a three-year-old boy sucking on her breast has got the whole world talking about attachment parenting. As a mom, I couldn’t care less if this woman chooses attachment parenting. Some women can’t breastfeed, some don’t want to and some don’t want to stop. It’s a choice—there’s no right or wrong here. As a mother of two teenage boys, I do feel badly for her son. Kids can be mean, and they will be…for as long as the internet (and that picture) is around.
As far as TIME Magazine goes, it was a home run. Sales increased and exposure was huge. As far as raising awareness for attachment parenting, it worked. But awareness doesn’t always generate conversion. Many are disappointed with the cover because it turned so many people off and didn’t promote the movement.
The question remains: who really benefited the most from this? Not the mom, not the child and apparently not the attachment parenting movement. That leaves TIME. Responsible media or sensationalist news?
2. In more charitable news, Sarah told me this week about a new organization called cottagedreams.ca. It matches weeks at people’s cottages with families of recovering cancer patients. I don’t have a cottage (and I’m fine with that, really) but if I did, I’m pretty sure I would sign up. To date, over 1,100 families have enjoyed time away through the Cottage Dreams program but there have been 60,100 new cancer cases diagnosed in Ontario last year and a 67% increase in the number of placement requests this year alone. The placement goal for 2012 is 350+ families. If you have a cottage, you might consider this charity.
3. I have a picture frame at home with a really nice family shot taken at a wedding. We look very spiffy under the caption ‘Remember, according to everyone else, we’re a perfectly normal family.’ It’s one of my favourites. But I think this wall sticker kicks that up a notch. I want it.
4. We ran a contest on Facebook this past month and asked our readers what was the line they remember most from their mother…we called them ‘momisms’. The answers came pouring in—the most we have heard from our readers yet with close to 150 responses. Here are a few of my favourites:
If you keep sticking your finger in your nose your head will cave in
I’m not going to college with you, so you better learn this now
If you fall out of that tree and break your leg, don’t come running to me
And the most original goes to: ‘Get your hands out of your pants or I will cut that thing off and give it to your sister.’
5. We’re having a party next week which is very exciting for all of us at Savvy HQ. Firstly, it’s our first party at the HQ. Secondly, it’s in celebration of the launch of SHOP.CA—Canada’s newest shopping destination online…so there will be shopping. Need I say more? We’ll have lots of food, wine and of course…lots of shopping. What’s not to love? We’ll even have a few token males there in the form of the executive team from SHOP.CA. Time to clean up my office!
comments powered by Disqus