Make Ahead Recipe
Baked Blueberry French Toast
- ¾ cup brown sugar
- 1 tsp cinnamon
- ½ tsp nutmeg
- ¼ cup butter, melted
- 12 slices whole grain bread (or baguette slices)
- 1½ cup frozen (or fresh) wild blueberries
- 5 eggs
- 1½ cups milk
- 1 tsp vanilla
- ½ tsp salt
- Cinnamon or icing sugar for dusting
- Maple syrup (optional)
Prep and Cook
- Prepare this recipe the night before or at least six hours prior to cooking and serving to allow time for bread to absorb the egg/milk mixture.
- In a small mixing bowl, combine brown sugar, cinnamon, nutmeg and butter.
- Lightly spray a 9” x 13” (3-litre) glass baking dish with cooking spray.
- Sprinkle ⅓ of the mixture into prepared baking dish.
- Arrange six pieces of bread on top of the sugar mixture, squeezing them in tight.
- Sprinkle another ⅓ of the sugar mixture and the berries on top of that.
- Stack the remaining six pieces of bread on top of the first six.
- Sprinkle with the final ⅓ of sugar mixture.
- In a large mixing bowl, beat eggs, milk, vanilla and salt together.
- Pour milk mixture evenly over top of the bread, ensuring all slices are soaked.
- Press down lightly and then cover with tin foil or plastic wrap.
- Store dish in the fridge overnight (or at least six hours).
- Uncover and bake in preheated oven at 350 degrees for 40–45 minutes (or until the top is golden brown).
- Using a sifter, dust with cinnamon or icing sugar and serve with warm maple syrup.
Good to know: Frozen fruits and vegetables provide the same essential nutrients and health benefits as fresh. www.wildblueberryhealthblog.com
© 2005 - 2013 SavvyMom Media, Inc., All Rights Reserved
SavvyMom is the registered trademark of SavvyMom Media Inc.