Make Ahead Recipe
Blackberry Crumb Bars
- 6 Tbsp butter, melted + ½ cup butter, room temperature
- ¾ cup whole-wheat flour
- ½ cup brown sugar
- ¾ cup all-purpose flour
- ½ tsp baking powder
- ½ tsp salt
- 1 cup powdered sugar
- 1 tsp vanilla
- 2 large eggs
- 2 cups blackberries
Prep and Cook
- Preheat oven to 350 degrees. Butter an 8” square baking pan. Line the bottom of the pan with parchment paper, leaving an overhand on two sides.
- Make the crumb topping: In a medium bowl combine the melted butter and brown sugar. Add the whole-wheat flour and mix with a fork until moist and crumbly. Place in the freezer until ready to use.
- In a medium bowl whisk together the all-purpose flour, baking powder and salt. Set aside. In the bowl of an electric mixer beat the ½ cup butter, powdered sugar and vanilla until light and fluffy. Add the eggs, one a time, beating well after each addition. With the mixer on low, add the flour mixture. Beat until just combined.
- Spread the batter evenly over the bottom of the pan. Sprinkle with the blackberries and cover with the chilled topping. Bake until golden brown, about 35-40 minutes. Cool completely in pan, and lift out using the paper overhang. Cut into 16 squares and store in an airtight container.
© 2005 - 2013 SavvyMom Media, Inc., All Rights Reserved
SavvyMom is the registered trademark of SavvyMom Media Inc.