- ½ cup large-flake or one minute oatmeal (not instant)
- ¾ cup milk
- 1 lb ground chicken
- 1 tsp chopped garlic
- ½ cup finely grated carrot or parsnip
- ½ cup chopped cooked spinach or kale (if using frozen, squeeze out the moisture)
- 1 large egg, beaten
- 3 Tbsp tomato paste, divided in half
- salt and freshly ground pepper
- 2 Tbsp olive oil
Prep and Cook
- Preheat oven to 350 F.
- Line a rimmed baking sheet or metal baking pan with parchment or foil and lightly grease with olive oil. Set aside.
- Place oatmeal in a small bowl and pour milk over top. Stir together and let stand at room temperature for 5 minutes or until milk has been almost fully absorbed.
- Combine chicken, garlic, grated vegetables, spinach, egg, half the tomato paste, and oatmeal mixture, discarding any extra milk in a large bowl and season with salt and pepper.
- Mix until just combined.
- Form meatballs into 1 inch size and place on prepared baking sheet.
- Combine the rest of the tomato paste with the olive oil (it will not mix together very well).
- Brush a little of the tomato mixture on top of each meatball.
- Bake for 20–25 minutes or until cooked through.
- Serve with tomato sauce for dipping or over pasta or rice.
Good to know: We have added carrot, parsnip and greens to these to boost up the nutritional factor, but feel free to substitute any other grate-able vegetables you have on hand.
© 2005 - 2013 SavvyMom Media, Inc., All Rights Reserved
SavvyMom is the registered trademark of SavvyMom Media Inc.