Chocolate Chip and Guinness Chili
- 2 Tbsp olive oil
- 5 chorizo sausages (not cured), sliced into ½” thick coins
- 1 kg lean ground beef or turkey
- 3 medium onions, peeled and finely chopped
- 4 cloves garlic, peeled and finely chopped
- 2 tsp ground cumin
- 1 tsp ground coriander
- 1 tsp ground cinnamon
- 2 Tbsp chili powder
- 1 can tomato paste
- ¼ cup ketchup
- 3 14 oz cans red kidney beans, drained
- 3 14 oz cans crushed or diced tomatoes
- 2 cups Guinness beer
- 2 cups frozen corn
- ½ cup dark chocolate chips
- Salt and pepper to taste
Prep and Cook
- Preheat the oven to 300°F.
- Heat the olive oil in a large ovenproof pot (with lid) and add the ground beef and sausage slices. Brown the meat on medium heat, breaking up the beef as it cooks.
- Add the onion and garlic, and cook until soft and translucent. Then add the cumin, coriander, cinnamon and chili powder. Stir well to combine.
- Stir in the tomato paste, ketchup, kidney beans and crushed tomatoes. Add the Guinness and bring the chili to a boil.
- Once it starts bubbling, add the corn and sprinkle the chocolate chips over the chili. Give it a good stir.
- Put the lid on and transfer the pot to the oven, cooking for 3 hours. Season with salt and pepper before serving, if desired.
Good to Know:
- The flavours of this dish improve when left overnight, resulting in a perfect make-ahead meal. Leftovers freeze really well and the recipe can be doubled or tripled easily.
- If you intend on freezing the dish, skip the corn and add it during the reheating process.
- In step 6, the mixture can be transferred to a slow cooker and cooked on low for 7 hours.
Nutritional Information Per Serving:
707 Calories, 43.3 g Total Fat, 18.3 g Saturated Fat, 2.8 g Fibre, 29.5 g Carbohydrates, 38.2 g Protein, 794 mg Sodium
© 2005 - 2016 SavvyMom Media, Inc., All Rights Reserved
SavvyMom is the registered trademark of SavvyMom Media Inc.