Mexican Meatloaf Muffins
- 2 Tbsp extra virgin olive oil
- 1 medium onion, finely chopped
- 2 cloves garlic, minced
- 1 lb ground beef
- 1 lb ground turkey (or pork)
- 1 carrot, shredded
- 1 cup fresh spinach, finely chopped
- ¾ cup whole wheat bread crumbs
- ¼ cup parmesan cheese
- 1 egg, lightly beaten
- 1 tsp Kosher salt
- ½ tsp freshly ground pepper
- ½ cup salsa
- ½ cup ketchup
- 1 Tbsp Dijon mustard
- 3 Tbsp brown sugar
- 1 cup shredded cheddar cheese
Prep and Cook
- Preheat oven to 350 degrees.
- Using a cooking spray or cooking oil, lightly grease a 12 cup muffin tin.
- In a small bowl, mix together salsa, ketchup, mustard and brown sugar and set aside.
- Cook onions and garlic in olive oil in a small skillet, over medium heat, stirring occasionally, until softened, about 10 minutes.
- Remove from heat and let cool.
- In a large mixing bowl, combine beef, turkey, carrot, spinach, bread crumbs, parmesan cheese, egg, salt and pepper, using a fork or your hands to mix until combined.
- Stir in onion mixture.
- Fill each muffin tin to the top with the meatloaf mixture and top with salsa sauce.
- Bake meatloaf muffins in the centre of the oven for approximately 20 minutes or until cooked through.
- Five minutes before they are finished, sprinkle meatloaf muffins with shredded cheese.
Good to know: These are great to serve on playdates or when you have a group of toddlers to feed. Freeze extras in deep containers to prevent the topping from sticking to the lid. Leave the cheese off and add when they are thawed and reheated.
Much like playing with play dough, kids love to get their hands in a mixing bowl and mess around. So, let them do the dirty work—mixing, scooping, and rolling the meatballs and meatloaves.
© 2005 - 2016 SavvyMom Media, Inc., All Rights Reserved
SavvyMom is the registered trademark of SavvyMom Media Inc.