Make Ahead Recipe
Simple Coq au Vin
- ½ lb bacon, diced
- 1 small onion, diced
- 2½–3 lb chicken pieces, bone-in
- Kosher salt
- Freshly ground black pepper
- 2 cups red wine
- 2 cups chicken stock
- 1 clove garlic, minced
- 2 tsp fresh thyme leaves
- 1 bay leaf
- 4 Tbsp butter, softened
- 2 Tbsp all-purpose flour
- ¾ lb cremini mushrooms, quartered
Prep and Cook
- In a large Dutch oven, cook bacon over medium heat until fat has been rendered and bacon is browned. While bacon is cooking, rinse chicken and pat dry with a paper towel. Season both sides with salt and pepper.
- Remove bacon from the pot and transfer to a paper towel-lined plate. Leaving fat in the cooking dish, add chicken pieces skin side down and cook until golden brown. Add onion and stir to combine.
- Turn chicken over, adding the bacon and wine and scrape the bottom of the pan to loosen brown bits from the bottom. Add chicken stock, garlic, bay leaf and thyme and stir to combine.
- Cover with a tight-fitting lid and simmer chicken over medium-low heat for 35–40 minutes or until chicken is tender and ‘falling off the bone.’
- Remove chicken pieces and set aside on a plate.
- Turn heat to medium-high and cook liquid until reduced by half.
- In a small bowl, blend 3 tablespoons of butter and flour into a smooth paste. Whisk into sauce until the lumps are gone. Cook sauce for 2–3 minutes or until glossy and coats the back of a wooden spoon.
- In a separate skillet, heat 1 tablespoon of butter and add mushrooms. Cook until tender and lightly browned.
- Add mushrooms and chicken to the pot and stir gently.
- Serve with hot butter noodles, rice or boiled potatoes.
Nutritional Information Per Serving:
391 Calories, 24.6 g Total Fat, 11.1 g Saturated Fat, 0.8 g Fibre, 18.3 g Carbohydrates, 24 g Protein, 1318 mg Sodium
This nutritional information is from the MacGourmet:Nutrition plug-in. All numbers are approximate.
© 2005 - 2014 SavvyMom Media, Inc., All Rights Reserved
SavvyMom is the registered trademark of SavvyMom Media Inc.