Squashy Mac’n Cheese
- ½ lb (2 cups) short whole wheat pasta (choose your favourite shape)
- 2 Tbsp butter
- ⅓ cup all-purpose flour
- 1¾ cups milk
- ½ cup sour cream
- ½ lb (250 g) cheddar cheese, grated
- 1 cup butternut or acorn squash, chopped finely and cooked
- Salt and pepper to taste
Prep and Cook
- Preheat oven to 350 degrees.
- In a large pot of boiling water, cook pasta until al dente.
- Drain and rinse thoroughly under cold water and return to the pot.
To make the cheese sauce:
- Melt butter in a saucepan.
- Mix in flour and stir for 2-3 minutes.
- Pour in milk, ½ cup at a time, whisking constantly.
- Bring sauce to a boil, reduce heat and then continue to stir until sauce is thick and creamy.
- Remove pot from the heat and add sour cream, shredded cheese and salt and pepper.
- Combine pasta, squash and sauce, stirring to coat (or until squash is well hidden).
- Use pasta water to thin the sauce if necessary.
- Pour pasta into a 9” x 9” buttered casserole dish.
- Bake covered (with tin foil or lid) at 350 degrees for 20 minutes.
- Remove foil (or lid) and cook for another 10 minutes or until top is crispy and browned.
Good to know: Serve one portion of this dish for dinner that night and freeze individual portion-sized containers to have on hand for a quick and nutritious lunch or dinner.
In place of a bowl, serve mac’n cheese in one half of a cooked acorn squash.
© 2005 - 2014 SavvyMom Media, Inc., All Rights Reserved
SavvyMom is the registered trademark of SavvyMom Media Inc.