Canada Day Decor
Red and white are the colours of choice in these delightful décor pieces.
Canada Day Balloon Banner
This simple red and white banner is a festive decoration without the fuss.
- 1 sewing needle with large opening (embroidery needle)
- Kitchen twine
- 24–30 balloons or triangular pieces of red and white paper, felt etc.
- 2 thumbtacks
How to Make
- Blow up all of the balloons and tie the ends.
- Thread the twine on the needle but do not cut it from its spool.
- Pass the needle through the centre of the balloon ends, sliding the balloons as closely together as possible.
- Keep adding the balloons until they bunch together enough to form the shape of a banner that reaches the desired length.
- Cut the twine and be sure to leave a long tail at either end of the banner for hanging.
- Attach the banner to a wall with thumbtacks and wrap the twine around the tack to secure it in place.
Good to Know: Balloons can be replaced with triangular pieces of paper or felt. Simply punch two holes in the top of the triangle (point of triangle facing downwards) and thread the pieces until you reach the desired length of banner.
Canada Day Candy Topiary
Sweets become the key ingredient in these decorative pots.
- 1 plant pot
- 1 wooden dowel (12”)
- 2 round foam balls (3–5”)
- Red and white candies
- Hot glue or toothpicks
- Spanish moss, faux green grass or green candies
- 2” x 4” piece of cardstock or cardboard
- 1 wooden clothespin
How to Make
- Place one of the foam balls into the plant pot and press down until it fits snugly.
- Stick the wooden dowel 2–3 inches into the foam ball.
- Using hot glue or toothpicks, attach the candies to the other foam ball covering it completely except for a small space at the bottom where the dowel will go in.
- Set the candy ball over the dowel and press down inserting the dowel 2–3 inches into the foam ball.
- Cover the top of the plant pot with Spanish moss, faux grass or green candies.
- Write “Happy Birthday Canada” on the piece of cardboard/cardstock and attach to the plant pot with the wooden clothespin.
Good to Know: Plant pot, dowels and Spanish moss can be purchased at your local dollar store.
More Table Décor Ideas
- Create a self-serve buffet using white tablecloths and red/white bandanas or material sewn together to create a table runner.
- Hang red and white paper lanterns (check out IKEA) from the fence or table umbrella.
- Decorate any food items with Canadian flags and maple leaf patterned objects.
- Fill red and white sand pails with cherries and strawberries.
- Place citronella candles in birch-wrapped containers to keep the bugs at bay.
- Use a mix of solid red and white serving platters, dishes, utensils and other accoutrements.