Bring the tropics to your luau party with these décor ideas
- One 1"x 4” piece of wood (or cardboard)
- One 1"x 2” piece of wood
- Dark brown wood stain
- Small nails
- Assorted paints
- Stuffed parrot
- Cut the 1"x 4” piece of wood into five equal pieces. Using two of the pieces of wood, cut one end of each of the pieces into a point. Set aside.
- Cut the 1"x 2” piece of wood into two pieces, one measuring 54” high. Discard the smaller pieces of wood, keeping the 54” piece to use as the base/stake of the sign.
- Mix the brown stain with a few tablespoons of water and rub all over the pieces of wood using a rag or old cloth. Allow the wood to dry.
- Paint beach-themed words and images on the larger pieces of wood. Include sayings like ‘Aloha’, ‘Cold Drinks’, ‘No Sharks’, ‘Beach this Way’ etc.
- Using nails, affix the painted signs to the 54” piece of wood, in a haphazard manner, leaving at least five inches of the stake at the bottom.
- Press the sign into the grass or garden and rest the stuffed parrot on top.
More Décor Ideas
- Cover tables with colourful (green, pink, blue, yellow) tablecloths and wrap grass skirts around the perimeter of the table.
- Hang garlands made with paper lanterns and flowers around the yard.
- Cover tabletops with pineapples, coconuts, seashells and flowers.
- Scatter tiki torches around the yard. Remove the fuel canister from some of the torches and replace with flower arrangements.
- Use multicoloured serving platters, napkins, paper plates and cups for food and drinks.
- Colourful buckets make for festive drink pails. Fill them with ice and assorted sodas and juices for a self-serve tiki bar.
- Decorate the yard with beach balls, surfboards, pool noodles and inflatable water toys.
- Give guests colourful leis upon their arrival.
Good to Know: Dollar stores and websites carry an excellent selection of Hawaiian-themed party items.
Sign up for our Newsletter
Our free, exclusive email
devoted to practical solutions
for moms in Canada!
© 2005 - 2013 SavvyMom Media, Inc., All Rights Reserved
SavvyMom is the registered trademark of SavvyMom Media Inc.