Mexican Jumping Bean Rainbow Cake
- 1 vanilla cake recipe (homemade or store-bought), enough to make two 8” cakes
- Assorted gel-paste food colouring (red, blue, orange, yellow, green)
- 5 cups vanilla frosting
- Sour jellybeans
Prep and Cook
- Prepare the cake batter as per recipe.
- Divide the batter into five equal portions into individual bowls. Tint each bowl with colouring gel to desired shade, approximately ⅛–¼ teaspoon. Mix well to ensure the colouring is evenly distributed in the cake batter.
- Bake each cake for 7-10 minutes in an 8” greased baking pan, or until a toothpick inserted into the centre comes out clean. Cool in the pan to room temperature, remove cake and repeat. If you are using less than five baking pans, wash and re-grease your pans between each use.
- Once the cake has cooled, wrap each layer in plastic wrap and freeze overnight.
- To assemble the cake, place a layer of cake on a cake board, top with ¼ cup vanilla frosting and spread it evenly over the cake. Place another layer of cake on top and repeat frosting with the remaining layers.
- Spread a thin coat of frosting over the top and sides of the cake and place in the refrigerator or freezer until frosting has set, about 30 minutes. Apply a thick coat of frosting over the entire cake to completely conceal all the colours.
- Insert candles into the top of the cake, and line the borders of the cake with jellybeans.
Sign up for our Newsletter
Our free, exclusive email
devoted to practical solutions
for moms in Canada!
© 2005 - 2013 SavvyMom Media, Inc., All Rights Reserved
SavvyMom is the registered trademark of SavvyMom Media Inc.