Red & White Cupcakes
What’s small and red and white all over? These fruity cupcakes are a delightful addition to your celebration.
Adapted from The Pioneer Woman
For the Cake:
- 1 cup butter
- 1¾ cup sugar
- 2½ cups all-purpose flour
- 1 tsp salt
- 2 whole large eggs
- 1 cup buttermilk
- 1 tsp vanilla extract
- 1 tsp baking soda
- 1 tsp vinegar
- 1½ ounces red food colouring
- 1½ tsp cocoa powder
- Assorted red and white cupcake liners
- Fresh red fruit: strawberries, raspberries and cherries
For the icing:
- 1 pkg (8 oz) cream cheese, room temperature
- ½ cup unsalted butter, room temperature
- 1 pound confectioners’ sugar
- 1 tsp vanilla extract
- 1 Tbsp milk
Prep and Cook
- Preheat oven to 350°F.
- Line two muffin tins with assorted red and white muffin liners and spray the top of the pan with non-stick baking spray.
- Sift together the flour and salt. Set aside.
- In a separate bowl, stir together the buttermilk, eggs, vanilla, and baking soda. Add the vinegar and stir. Set aside.
- In another smaller bowl, mix together the cocoa and red food colouring. Set aside.
- Cream together the butter and sugar until fluffy, about five minutes. Alternate adding the flour mixture and buttermilk mixture, starting and ending with the flour mixture, until all combined.
- Pour in the red colouring mixture and beat until combined.
- Pour the batter into the muffin cups ⅔ full.
- Bake for 20 minutes. Remove from the oven and allow to completely cool before removing from the baking pan.
- To make the icing, place the cream cheese and butter in a bowl and beat until cream, about one minute.
- With the mixer on low, slowly add the icing sugar, scraping down the sides of the bowl when necessary.
- Add the vanilla and milk and increase the mixer to medium. Mix until the frosting is fluffy, about one minute.
- Fill a large piping or zip top bag with the icing mixture and snip the corner off. Pipe large swirls over the top of the cupcake. Decorate with assorted fruits and place on a cupcake stand or stacked cake plates. Place a small flower arrangement on the top tier of the tower for extra colour and height.
Good to Know: Cupcake liners can be purchased online or in store at Golda’s Kitchen or various cake decorating stores.
Sign up for our Newsletter
Our free, exclusive email
devoted to practical solutions
for moms in Canada!
© 2005 - 2013 SavvyMom Media, Inc., All Rights Reserved
SavvyMom is the registered trademark of SavvyMom Media Inc.