These picnic-ready, personalized pies are a fun food take-away for your guests (now say that 10 times quickly).
- ⅔ cup brown sugar
- 2 eggs
- ¼ cup butter
- 1 tsp vanilla
- ¾ cup raisins or pecans
- 1 pie crust, rolled to ½” thickness
- 8 – 125ml jam jars, washed and buttered
Prep and Cook
- 1Preheat the oven to 400F.
- 2Combine the butter and sugar and place in a medium saucepan set over medium heat. Add the vanilla and raisins or pecans, and cook until the butter has melted. (This is the filling.)
- 3Beat the eggs and whisk into the sugar mixture, cooking over medium heat for 5-6 minutes or until the mixtures thickens and can coat the back of a spoon. Be very careful not to overcook the filling.
- 4Roll out the piecrust and cut circles of dough with the mouth of the jam jar—2 per jar. Press one into the bottom of the buttered jar, top with filling and cover with the second piece of dough.
- 5Cut a steam vent (small slit) into the top piece of dough, and place all of the pies on a large baking sheet.
- 6Bake for 15 to 20 minutes or until the crust is golden brown.
- 7Remove from the oven and allow to cool completely before placing the lid on the jar.
- 8Decorate with the O Canada Patriotic Pie label and baker's twine or ribbon.
Similar Related Posts:
- December 20, 2016
Simple Chocolate Yule Log
Why make this cake? It's incredibly easy to make, despite looking ultra impressive on the plate. It requires only 10 ingredients from start to finish, it's super kid-friendly. It can be made in advance (for my test run, I kept the cake covered in the fridge for four days and it still tasted great.