Skip the excessive stirring and let your slow cooker do the work to bring this hearty risotto dish to the dinner table. You can cook the risotto on the weekend and keep it tucked in the refrigerator for a quick reheat on your busiest night of the week.
Adapted from Best of Bridge: The Family Slow Cooker
- Vegetable oil
- ½ lb. mild Italian sausages
- 1 onion, finely chopped
- 2 cloves garlic, minced
- Kosher salt, to taste
- Freshly ground pepper, to taste
- 4 cups mushrooms, coarsely chopped
- 1 ½ cups pearl or pot barley
- 4 cups chicken stock
- 2 cups packed baby spinach
- 1 Tbsp lemon juice
Prep and Cook
- 1In a large skillet, heat a generous drizzle of oil over medium-high heat. Squeeze sausage out of its casing into the pan and cook, breaking it up with a spoon, until browned. Using a slotted spoon transfer sausage to a 4 to 6-quart slow cooker.
- 2Drain off all but 1 tablespoon fat from the skillet and sauté onion until softened, and just starting to brown. Add garlic, salt and pepper; sauté for 1 minute and transfer to the slow cooker.
- 3Stir in mushrooms, barley and stock. Cover and cook on high for 2 to 3 hours or until most of the liquid is absorbed but the mixture is still creamy.
- 4Stir in spinach and lemon juice; cover and cook for 10 to 15 minutes or until spinach is wilted. Serve hot.
Similar Related Posts:
- February 6, 2018
4 Surprising Dishes You Can Make in a Slow Cooker
From a four-ingredient lasagna to an impressive restaurant-quality dessert, these recipes will force you to rethink how you use your slow cooker, and introduce you to a few inspiring ideas you'll be sure to come back to time and time again.
- May 10, 2017
The Best Gift for a New Mother Is a Home-Cooked Meal
Whether you're dropping off a 'sympathy supper' or a dish for a busy new mother, these recipes travel and reheat beautifully.
- January 30, 2017
4-Ingredient Meaty Lasagna
Once you know how beautifully lasagna works in the slow cooker, you may never use the oven again. Keeping a batch of Bolognese in the freezer at all times helps this dinner come together with just four simple ingredients and a few hours of time.