These delicious biscuits are excellent on their own, or the perfect toppers for our Chicken Pot Pie. Makes 14–20 biscuits.
- 1 large sweet potato
- 1¼ cup all-purpose flour, plus extra for dusting
- ½ cup whole-wheat flour
- 1 Tbsp dark brown sugar
- 2½ tsp baking powder
- ½ tsp baking soda
- 1 tsp sea salt
- ½ cup butter, chilled and cut into small ½" cubes
- ⅓ cup + 1 Tbsp cold buttermilk
Prep and Cook
- 1Place sweet potatoes in a saucepan with salted water and bring to a boil. Cook for 6–8 minutes or until tender. Drain, cool and mash.
- 2Preheat the oven to 425°F. Line a baking sheet with parchment paper.
- 3Whisk flour, sugar, baking soda, baking powder and salt together in a medium-sized mixing bowl. Add the butter to the flour mixture and toss together with your hands until it the texture resembles sand.
- 4Whisk ¾ cup of mashed sweet potatoes with the buttermilk until smooth. Add the liquid to the flour mixture and stir with the end of a wooden spoon until it starts to come together. Using your hands knead the dough until it’s smooth.
- 5Spread a small amount of flour onto the counter. Place the dough ball on top of the flour and pat our into a 1" thick circle.
- 6Using a floured 1” or 2" cookie cutter, cut out biscuits and place on a parchment-lined baking sheet. Bake for 6–8 minutes (depending on the size of the biscuit), or until the tops are golden brown.