- 1 cup quinoa (red or white)
- 2 cups water
- 1 tsp salt
- 1 Tbsp vegetable oil
- 1 onion, chopped
- 2 garlic cloves, minced
- 2 carrots, diced
- 1 sweet red pepper, chopped
- 1 cup celery, chopped
- 1 Tbsp chili powder
- 1 tsp dried oregano
- ½ cup frozen corn
- 1 can (28 oz) chopped tomatoes
- 1 can (15 oz) kidney beans, rinsed and drained
- 1 can (15 oz) black beans, rinsed and drained
- 1 can (15 oz) chickpeas, rinsed and drained
- Toppings: shredded cheddar cheese, fresh cilantro
Prep and Cook
In a strainer, rinse quinoa under running water and drain thoroughly.
Place quinoa, water and salt in a medium-sized saucepan and bring to a boil.
Reduce heat, cover, and simmer for approximately 15 minutes (or until the water is absorbed and quinoa is tender).
Remove pot from the heat, fluff with a fork, and let stand.
Heat oil in a large Dutch oven or pot over medium-high heat.
Add onion, garlic, carrots and celery to the pot and sauté for 5 minutes or until tender.
Add the remaining ingredients (minus the toppings), stirring until combined and bring to a boil.
Reduce heat and simmer for approximately 30 minutes (or longer).
Just before serving, stir in cooked quinoa.
Ladle chili into bowls and top with shredded cheese and a sprinkle of fresh cilantro.