Working with Wonton Wrappers
Wonton wrappers are one of the easiest ways for little hands to make impressive foods. Filled with a variety of sweet and savoury fillings, wontons keep the mess to a minimum, as there is nothing to roll and cut out. This means your little sous chefs can make a variety of items using these squares in place of traditional dough.
One of my favourite ways to use a wonton wrapper is to make a pretty serving ‘cup’ and fill it up with an assortment of seasonal fruits, savoury meats and even chocolate pudding. I also love the idea of these Baked Apple Frittata Cups from the Ontario Apple Growers website.
To make the cups, press the wonton wrappers into a mini-muffin pan, and lightly mist the dough with cooking spray. Bake at 350°F for 8 to 10 minutes or until golden brown.
Here are some other ways to fill up your wonton cups:
- Scrambled eggs topped with cheddar cheese
- Vanilla yogurt and berries
- Beans, salsa, sour cream, and cheese
- Egg, tuna or chicken salad
- Little scoops of ice cream with chocolate sauce and sprinkles
- Sliced pears, honey and walnuts
- Apple slices, ham and cheese
Have you tried cooking with wonton wrappers? How do you like to use them?