The kids’ beloved mac ‘n cheese becomes a healthy Family Meal with a dose of sweet potato and some green peas thrown in.
- 1 sweet potato
- 3 cups whole wheat macaroni
- 4 Tbsp butter
- 2 Tbsp flour
- 2 cups milk
- 1 cup cheddar, grated
- ½ cup parmesan, grated
- 1 cup frozen peas
- pepper to taste
Prep and Cook
- 1Wrap sweet potato in foil and bake at 400 degrees for 45 to 50 minutes, until soft.
- 2Place noodles in boiling water and cook according to package instructions, about 8 minutes.
- 3Slice open the sweet potato and scoop out the flesh. Puree with a splash of water until smooth (should yield about 1 cup).
- 4In a heavy bottomed pan, melt butter over medium heat. Sprinkle flour over melted butter and stir. Cook for about 1 minute, stirring. Slowly add milk, stirring constantly.
- 5Once all the milk is added and the sauce is beginning to thicken, add the grated cheese. Mix until the cheese is melted. Add the sweet potato puree and stir until well combined.
- 6Taste the sauce before adding pepper.
- 7For the last 2 minutes of the pastas cooking time, add the frozen peas.
- 8Drain pasta and peas and put back in the pot.
- 9Pour the cheese sauce over the pasta and stir well.
Similar Related Posts:
- April 24, 2017
Book Review: 'Stirring Up Fun with Food' by Sarah Michelle Gellar
Everyone wants their families to eat well (and healthily), and if the meals can be fun, too, well that’s even better.