Is there anything more classic and delicious than a banana bread? (The answer is no, in my humble opinion).
And while it’s definitely clear that the internet is not lacking banana bread recipes, this one is by far one of my favourites because it combines all the traditional ingredients you’d find in a banana bread with a few healthy twists – like spelt flour and Greek yogurt.
Plus, when you put anything into muffin form, kids are pretty much guaranteed to love it.
This recipe comes together quickly and the results are delicious. And my kids agree – it always gets gobbled up fast around our house.
So, here it is. My contribution to the 3,789,257 banana bread recipes out there.
Banana Bread Chocolate Chip Muffins
Makes 12-15 (depending on the size of the muffin tin)
- 1 cup all-purpose flour
- 1 cup whole wheat or spelt flour
- 1 tsp baking powder
- 1 tsp baking soda
- 1 tsp ground cinnamon
- ½ tsp ground ginger
- ¼ tsp salt
- 3 very ripe bananas
- ½ cup brown sugar
- ½ cup granulated sugar
- ½ cup canola or olive oil oil
- 1 large egg
- ½ cup Greek yogurt
- ½ cup chocolate chips
Prep and Cook
- 1Preheat oven to 375°F. Coat the insides of muffin tins with non-stick cooking spray or line with muffins liners and set aside.
- 2Whisk together both flours, baking powder, baking soda, cinnamon, ginger and salt in a medium bowl.
- 3In a second large bowl, mash the bananas with both sugars until the mixture is mostly smooth, with just a few bits of banana remaining. Add the oil, egg and yogurt and mix well. Add the dry ingredients to the wet, and stir until just combined.
- 4Divide the batter among the prepared muffin tins. Bake until the tops of the loaves are golden and a toothpick inserted into the center comes out clean, 20 to 22 minutes.
- 5Cool the muffins for 5 minutes before removing from the pans.