Makes approx. 1 litre
- 2 lbs. apples, washed, cored and cut into chunks
- 3 cups cubed mango (frozen is fine)
- 1 cinnamon stick
- 1 cup water
- Optional: sweetener of choice (brown sugar, maple syrup, honey)
Prep and Cook
- 1Combine the apples, mango, cinnamon stick and water in a medium saucepan and set over high heat.
- 2Bring to a boil, and then lower the heat to medium and simmer uncovered for 30 minutes, stirring often, or until the apples are soft.
- 3Let the applesauce cool for a few minutes, then ladle into a blender and purée until smooth. Using a colander set over a large bowl, strain the sauce and discard solids. If a thinner consistency is desired, add additional water. Check the flavour and add sweetener to taste, if necessary.
- 4Applesauce can be stored in the fridge for 2 weeks, or in the freezer for 6 months.