- ½ lb dry macaroni, whole wheat rotini, small shells or other pasta
- 3 Tbsp butter
- 3 Tbsp all-purpose flour
- 2½ cups milk
- 3 cups shredded old white cheddar, Gouda, Monterey Jack, Parmesan or other meltable cheese
- 1 cup canned white beans, rinsed and drained
- 2 slices whole wheat sandwich bread, torn into pieces
- 2 Tbsp canola oil, olive oil or melted butter
- ¼ cup grated Parmesan cheese
Prep and Cook
- 1In a large pot of boiling salted water, cook the pasta until it’s tender but not mushy. Set aside.
- 2Preheat the oven to 350°F. In an empty pot, melt the butter over medium heat. Whisk in the flour and cook for a minute or so, until the mixture starts to turn golden. Stir in the milk and bring the sauce to a full boil, whisking constantly. Reduce the heat and simmer for a few minutes, until the mixture is nice and thick.
- 3Remove the sauce from the heat and stir in the cheese until it melts. Add salt to taste, then stir in the drained pasta and beans.
- 4If you want a breadcrumb topping, pulse the bread, butter and Parmesan in a food processor until the bread turns to crumbs and the mixture is well blended.
- 5Pour the macaroni and cheese into a baking dish and top with the breadcrumbs or additional cheese.
- 6Bake for 15 to 20 minutes, until the dish is bubbly around the edges and the topping is golden.
Tagged under: baked mac and cheese with little white beans,baked mac and cheese