Getting through winter is tough enough without the added stress of a never-ending pandemic. If you’re feeling stressed and struggling to get through the week with your sanity intact, maybe give positive parenting affirmations a try. Affirmations are short phrases one repeats to counteract the kind of negativity that seeps in during tough times. Focusing on an affirmation takes us briefly out of an unhelpful cycle of negative thinking and eventually becomes our natural though process.
Having discovered the Big Life Journal recently, I’m a newly devoted follower of their blog. They have a post with 52 affirmations (one for every week of the year) and these are my favourite 10…
10 Positive Parenting Affirmations for Tough Times
- I can’t control the future, but I can meet its challenges.
- When I think I can’t do something, I will add “yet” to the end of the thought.
- I focus on progress, not perfection.
- I love my children, no matter what today brings.
- My children don’t want perfection; they want me to be there.
- Admitting things are rotten doesn’t mean I’m giving up.
- Some days are better than others; that doesn’t mean I’m a bad parent.
- I can handle anything for X minutes/hours. (Note: Use this one for planned events, starting to repeat it at least a week before the events occur.)
- I can adapt to changes in my plans and expectations.
- I can’t control how I feel, but I can control how I behave.
Positive parenting affirmations can be used when things feel overwhelming: when school is a sh*tshow or you’re feeling disconnected from your kids and/or your partner. Not to mention when your usual supports are out of reach or not available. Feeling a little like Stuart Smalley? That’s ok. He’s good enough, smart enough, and doggone it, people like him.
Tagged under: Parenting,positive thinking,positive thoughts,positive affirmations,positive parenting affirmations