Here’s a surprising revelation…entertaining at home needn’t be complicated!
This summer, whether you’re hosting a shower, family barbecue, backyard bash or lunch for a group of eight year olds, cucumber cups are a quick and easy vessel to use for an array of tasty bite-sized foods.
To make, simply wash your cuke well and cut it into two-inch thick chunks. Hollow out the centre with a small spoon or melon baller and fill it with your favourite fillings. Here is a list of how I like to serve these cups:
- Fill with tuna or egg salad’this makes a great alternative to a sandwich for the kids.
- Fill with plain or roasted red pepper hummus and top with a piece of basil. For an extra special presentation, use a star tip and pipe the dip into the cucumber cup.
- Fill with tomato or corn salsa and a dollop of sour cream.
- Hollow out 4-inch long chunks of cucumber and fill with gazpacho or a nice chilled soup.
- Combine cooked and chopped shrimp, lemon, garlic and parsley for a shrimp scampi-esque filling that you can stuff into cucumber cups.
What is your go-to secret for simple, easy entertaining?