How To Make Homemade Pizza Dough
Making your own pizza dough is an easy and fun thing to do with your family. Here are 8 steps to create a perfect pizza dough for one 12-inch pizza:
1. In a large bowl stir together 1 1/2 cups all purpose flour with 1 tsp quick rising instant dry yeast with 1/2 tsp salt. Stir with a fork to combine well.
2. Add 1 tbsp olive oil to 1/2 cup warm water. Pour over flour mixture and, using a wooden spoon, stir until it starts to resemble a scraggly dough.
3. Lightly flour a clean flat work surface. Dust hands with flour. Dump dough out onto work surface and start to gently knead dough by folding it over on top of itself, pressing down hard with the palm of your hand. Continue to knead for approximately 5-7 minutes, or until dough becomes elastic, smooth and easy to stretch. Add tiny sprinkles of flour as needed to surface or hands to prevent sticking, but be careful not to add too much!
4. Place dough in a bowl and brush top with 1 tbsp oil. Let rise for approximately 30 – 45 minutes, or until dough has doubled in size.
5. Uncover dough and remove from bowl. Using a rolling pan, or your hands (our preferred method), gently stretch dough and flatten, until it becomes a 12-inch circle.
6. Carefully transfer dough to a pizza pan, baking sheet or pizza stone which has been sprinkled with cornmeal. Press dough to edges to form a crust.
7. To assemble: Spread pizza base with 1/2 cup tomato basil sauce. Scatter with torn buffalo mozzarella or grated mozzarella. Scatter your favourite ingredients over cheese (we like hot genoa salami or prosciutto, sliced cremini mushrooms, fresh basil and cherry tomatoes). Sprinkle with sea salt and pepper and drizzle with olive oil.
8: To cook: Preheat oven to 425 F. Place pizza on middle rack in oven and bake for 10-12 minutes, or until cheese is bubble and crust golden. Remove from oven, cut into wedges and enjoy your very own homemade pizza!