A heartbreaking plea making the rounds on social media from a grieving father is a sobering reminder of how simple things can pose such a threat. In this case, a little girl swallowed a button battery, which lodged in her throat asymptomatically. While her parents remained unaware it was there, a chemical reaction between the battery and her saliva began to burn her esophagus. By the time they realized, it was too late.
Choking is a leading cause of death or injury in North America. This is scary—trust me, I know. I watched my (then) three-year-old son choke on a chicken nugget, and it was the longest five seconds of my life. Thankfully, he was okay, but I shook for 45 minutes.
But like all things in parenthood that frighten us, it does no good to be paranoid and full of worry. What does help is being prepared.
Anything that fits through a toilet paper roll can be a choking hazard or at risk for lodging in a child’s throat.
Food is the most common choking hazard, but some foods are more problematic than others.Read More