Quick to prepare and fun to eat, it’s hard not to love a recipe that encourages your tablemates to make their own meal and eat with their hands. This one-pan, 5-ingredient sticky-sweet meat mixture takes less than 20 minutes to prepare and can even be served over rice instead of lettuce cups, if you prefer.
Good to Know:
- Replace the lettuce with ready-to-serve whole grain brown rice for a toddler-friendly meal your young kids will love.
- 2 Tbsp canola oil
- 1 small onion, finely chopped
- 1 cup (approx.1 whole) finely diced red pepper
- 1 tsp garlic powder
- 1 tsp ground ginger
- 1 lb. ground pork
- ½ cup hoisin sauce
- 2 heads Bibb or iceberg lettuce, leaves separated, washed and dried
- Optional: sesame seeds and sliced green onions, for serving
Prep and Cook
- 1Heat the oil in a large skillet over medium heat. Add the onion and red pepper and sauté until softened, about 5 minutes. Stir in the garlic powder and ground ginger and cook for an additional minute or until fragrant.
- 2Crumble the pork into the pan, breaking it up with a wooden spoon as you stir it around the skillet. Cook until the excess moisture evaporates and the meat begins to crisp.
- 3Add the hoisin and stir to combine. Reduce heat to medium-low and simmer for 3 to 5 minutes.
- 4Transfer the pork to a serving bowl and garnish with sesame seeds and green onions if desired. Place the bowl on a platter and surround with the lettuce leaves. Serve immediately.
Similar Related Posts:
- June 22, 2017
Canadian Critter Cupcakes
Keep the kids busy as beavers with these easy to make and decorate beaver cupcakes that are worthy of any Canada Day celebration. You can use homemade or store-bought cupcakes and candy from the bulk food store to put this edible critter creation together.
- June 15, 2017
Fresh Spring Rolls: The Simple Summer Supper Your Whole Family Will Love
Fresh spring rolls are one of my favourite warm weather dinners. I like that they can be as simple or snazzy as one desires and they make an excellent interactive meal for the kids to assist with.