Quick to prepare and fun to eat, it’s hard not to love a recipe that encourages your tablemates to make their own meal and eat with their hands. This one-pan, 5-ingredient sticky-sweet meat mixture takes less than 20 minutes to prepare and can even be served over rice instead of lettuce cups, if you prefer.
Good to Know:
- Replace the lettuce with ready-to-serve whole grain brown rice for a toddler-friendly meal your young kids will love.
- 2 Tbsp canola oil
- 1 small onion, finely chopped
- 1 cup (approx.1 whole) finely diced red pepper
- 1 tsp garlic powder
- 1 tsp ground ginger
- 1 lb. ground pork
- ½ cup hoisin sauce
- 2 heads Bibb or iceberg lettuce, leaves separated, washed and dried
- Optional: sesame seeds and sliced green onions, for serving
Prep and Cook
- 1Heat the oil in a large skillet over medium heat. Add the onion and red pepper and sauté until softened, about 5 minutes. Stir in the garlic powder and ground ginger and cook for an additional minute or until fragrant.
- 2Crumble the pork into the pan, breaking it up with a wooden spoon as you stir it around the skillet. Cook until the excess moisture evaporates and the meat begins to crisp.
- 3Add the hoisin and stir to combine. Reduce heat to medium-low and simmer for 3 to 5 minutes.
- 4Transfer the pork to a serving bowl and garnish with sesame seeds and green onions if desired. Place the bowl on a platter and surround with the lettuce leaves. Serve immediately.
Similar Related Posts:
- July 13, 2018
7 No-Bake Desserts to Make Your Summer a Little Sweeter
If you’re looking for something that goes beyond a melty tub of Ben and Jerry’s, these easy no-bake desserts for summer are delicious, simple and sweat-free.
- July 5, 2018
How to Cook for a (Summer) Crowd Without Going Crazy
Looking for some of the best party food ideas for large groups? Here are a few strategies to help you control that chaos that comes with having many mouths to feed.
- May 30, 2018
7 Healthy Grab & Go Breakfast Bars for Busy Mornings
If you’re tired of eating your kids’ leftovers as you rush out the door in the morning, here are a few morning meal lifesavers. We've rounded up some healthy (and tasty) breakfast bars that will help hold you over.
- May 10, 2018
Freezer Meals for Busy Weeknights + Recipe: Chicken Enchiladas
Freezer meals are the gateway to getting a good dinner on the table easily. Here’s everything you need to know to make some, plus a dinner recipe to get you started.