Quick to prepare and fun to eat, it’s hard not to love a recipe that encourages your tablemates to make their own meal and eat with their hands. This one-pan, 5-ingredient sticky-sweet meat mixture takes less than 20 minutes to prepare and can even be served over rice instead of lettuce cups, if you prefer.
Good to Know:
- Replace the lettuce with ready-to-serve whole grain brown rice for a toddler-friendly meal your young kids will love.
- 2 Tbsp canola oil
- 1 small onion, finely chopped
- 1 cup (approx.1 whole) finely diced red pepper
- 1 tsp garlic powder
- 1 tsp ground ginger
- 1 lb. ground pork
- ½ cup hoisin sauce
- 2 heads Bibb or iceberg lettuce, leaves separated, washed and dried
- Optional: sesame seeds and sliced green onions, for serving
Prep and Cook
- 1Heat the oil in a large skillet over medium heat. Add the onion and red pepper and sauté until softened, about 5 minutes. Stir in the garlic powder and ground ginger and cook for an additional minute or until fragrant.
- 2Crumble the pork into the pan, breaking it up with a wooden spoon as you stir it around the skillet. Cook until the excess moisture evaporates and the meat begins to crisp.
- 3Add the hoisin and stir to combine. Reduce heat to medium-low and simmer for 3 to 5 minutes.
- 4Transfer the pork to a serving bowl and garnish with sesame seeds and green onions if desired. Place the bowl on a platter and surround with the lettuce leaves. Serve immediately.
Similar Related Posts:
- February 8, 2018
Homemade Whole Wheat and Oats Pancake Mix in a Jar
Making your own pancake mixes are pretty simple and beneficial. They're typically made with things you likely have on hand, and in addition to the health benefits of homemade goods versus packaged ones, you'll also save a bit of money.
- February 6, 2018
4 Surprising Dishes You Can Make in a Slow Cooker
From a four-ingredient lasagna to an impressive restaurant-quality dessert, these recipes will force you to rethink how you use your slow cooker, and introduce you to a few inspiring ideas you'll be sure to come back to time and time again.