This Heirloom Tomato Caprese Salad is the prettiest – and arguably the simplest – salad you will make this summer. Caprese salad is a summer staple. Serve as hors d’oeuvres for any summer soirée or as a hearty appetizer.
This salad pairs wonderfully with any grilled chicken, fish, or steak!
- 4 -6 medium heirloom tomatoes (we like to choose different sizes and colours), sliced into wedges
- 2 cups mini buffalo mozzarella balls, drained and patted dry
- 1/2 small red onion, very thinly sliced (optional)
- 10 basil leaves, roughly torn
- 3 tbsp good quality olive oil
- 2 tbsp good quality balsamic vinegar
- 1/2 tsp sea salt
- cracked black pepper
Prep and Cook
- 1In a large bowl, combine the tomatoes, buffalo mozzarella, basil, and red onion (if using.) Sprinkle with sea salt and freshly cracked black pepper.
- 2In a small bowl, whisk together olive oil, balsamic, sea salt, and pepper. Drizzle over salad and toss to coat.
Divide between plates and serve immediately.