Your family with come clamouring to the table for this creamy one-pot pasta concoction that’s as short on cooking time as it is on ingredients, a double bonus for you, the cook. Using half the cheese usually called for in a similar recipe and no cream, this is a comforting carbolicious meal you’ll feel good about feeding your crew.
- 5 cups chicken or vegetable broth
- 12 oz. oricchette
- 1 cup pumpkin purée
- 2 Tbsp olive oil
- 1 tsp dry mustard powder
- ½ tsp garlic powder
- ½ tsp ground nutmeg
- ½ tsp kosher salt
- 1 ½ cups grated sharp cheddar cheese
- Chopped parsley and red pepper flakes, to serve
Prep and Cook
- 1Place the chicken broth, pasta, pumpkin purée, olive oil, mustard powder, garlic powder, nutmeg and salt in a heavy pot. Set over high heat and bring to a rolling boil.
- 2As soon as it begins boiling, set the time for 9 minutes. Stir frequently for the first few minutes and then constantly as it thickens to prevent the pasta from sticking to the bottom of the pot. When the timer is up, remove the pot from the heat, cover and let sit for 2 minutes.
- 3Scatter the cheese over top of the pasta and stir gently until melted and fully combined. Check the seasoning and add more salt, if needed.
- 4Divide between bowls and sprinkle with parsley and pepper flakes (for the adults).