This recipe belongs in the repertoire of every home cook, especially one with small children under foot. It hits all the hallmarks of a meal worth making—satisfying, simple, one-pot—and is sure to entice everyone in your family to the table.
Adapted from Nigellisima
Serves 2 adults and 2 small children
- 200 g cubed pancetta
- 1 ½ cups frozen peas
- ½ lb. orzo
- 1 Tbsp butter
- 2 Tbsp grated Parmesan cheese
Prep and Cook
- 1Fill a kettle with water and bring to a boil.
- 2Heat two tablespoons of oil in a Dutch over set over medium heat. Add the pancetta and cook, stirring, until it becomes crisp and golden. Add the peas and stir for a minute or until the frozen look leaves them.
- 3Add the pasta and stir it into the pancetta and peas. Season cautiously with salt—the pancetta is salty—and pour in 2 ½ cups of the boiling water.
- 4Turn down the heat and stir the pasta. Let simmer for 10 minutes, but do check on it a couple of times and give it a stir or two to prevent it from sticking and to see if you need to add a little more water from the kettle.
- 5When the pasta is soft and starchy and the water is absorbed, stir the butter and Parmesan cheese into the pot. Check seasonings and adjust if necessary. Serve immediately.