Quick to prepare and fun to eat, it’s hard not to love a recipe that encourages your tablemates to make their own meal and eat with their hands. This one-pan, 5-ingredient sticky-sweet meat mixture takes less than 20 minutes to prepare and can even be served over rice instead of lettuce cups, if you prefer.
Good to Know:
- Replace the lettuce with ready-to-serve whole grain brown rice for a toddler-friendly meal your young kids will love.
- 2 Tbsp canola oil
- 1 small onion, finely chopped
- 1 cup (approx.1 whole) finely diced red pepper
- 1 tsp garlic powder
- 1 tsp ground ginger
- 1 lb. ground pork
- ½ cup hoisin sauce
- 2 heads Bibb or iceberg lettuce, leaves separated, washed and dried
- Optional: sesame seeds and sliced green onions, for serving
Prep and Cook
- 1Heat the oil in a large skillet over medium heat. Add the onion and red pepper and sauté until softened, about 5 minutes. Stir in the garlic powder and ground ginger and cook for an additional minute or until fragrant.
- 2Crumble the pork into the pan, breaking it up with a wooden spoon as you stir it around the skillet. Cook until the excess moisture evaporates and the meat begins to crisp.
- 3Add the hoisin and stir to combine. Reduce heat to medium-low and simmer for 3 to 5 minutes.
- 4Transfer the pork to a serving bowl and garnish with sesame seeds and green onions if desired. Place the bowl on a platter and surround with the lettuce leaves. Serve immediately.