Blueberry and Zucchini Cornbread Muffins
There is a saying that ‘what grows together, goes together’ and this unlikely combination of blueberries and zucchinis is a testament to how true that statement is, especially when they are combined in a rustic cornbread muffin. Using only honey as a sweetener, this is a snack you’ll feel good about serving to your kids this season.
Makes 12 muffins
- 1 cup medium-grain cornmeal
- 1 cup all-purpose or whole-wheat pastry flour
- 1 Tbsp baking powder
- 1 tsp kosher salt
- 1 cup whole milk
- ½ cup honey
- 1 large egg
- 1/3 cup butter, melted and cooled
- 1 cup blueberries
- 1 small zucchini, grated (about 1 cup)
Prep and Cook
- Preheat the oven to 400°F and line a standard muffin pan with paper liners or coat with non-stick spray.
- In a medium bowl, combine the cornmeal, flour, baking powder and salt.
- In a second bowl, whisk together the milk, honey, egg and cooled butter.
- Add the milk mixture to the cornmeal mixture and stir until almost combined.
Add the blueberries and zucchini and finish stirring.
- Divide the batter evenly between the muffin wells, filling them almost to the top. Bake for 15-18 minutes or until the centre is set and the tops are golden brown.
- Cool for 5 minutes before transferring to a wire rack.