- 1 Tbsp vegetable oil
- 1 medium onion, chopped
- 1 lb cooked boneless chicken (or turkey) breast, chopped
- 1 can (28 oz) chopped tomatoes
- 1 can (15 oz) black beans, rinsed and drained
- 1 can (19 oz) chickpeas, rinsed and drained
- 1 can (8 oz) tomato sauce
- 1 cup peeled, seeded and cubed pumpkin
- 1 sweet red pepper, chopped
- ½ cup chicken broth
- ½ cup corn (frozen or fresh)
- ½ cup dried cranberries
- 1 Tbsp chili powder
- 1 tsp dried oregano
- 1 clove garlic, minced
- 6 large whole wheat/multigrain buns
- Olive oil for brushing
Prep and Cook
- 1In Dutch oven or large heavy pot, heat vegetable oil over medium heat.
- 2Add chopped onions and cook until softened.
- 3Add all other ingredients, stir and bring to a boil.
- 4Reduce heat to low and simmer, covered for 2 hours.
- 5Check seasoning and adjust as needed.
- 6If using a slow cooker, brown onions separately and then transfer to slow cooker before adding all other ingredients.
- 7Cook chili in slow cooker on high setting for 5 hours or low for 10 hours.
- 8Preheat oven to 350 degrees.
- 9Using a sharp knife, cut about 1/2 inch off the top of the bun, then make the inside of the bun hollow by removing all but about 1 1/2 inches of bread.
- 10Using a brush or spray bottle, apply oil to the inside of the bun.
- 11Place buns on baking sheets and bake for 10-15 minutes or until lightly browned on the inside.
- 12Remove from the oven and serve filled with pumpkin chili (or your favourite soup).
Similar Related Posts:
- May 19, 2017
3 Healthy Recipes for Your May Long Weekend Barbecue
My absolute favourite way to unwind and reconnect with the people I love most is by throwing a backyard barbeque