- 1 Tbsp vegetable oil
- 1 medium onion, chopped
- 1 lb cooked boneless chicken (or turkey) breast, chopped
- 1 can (28 oz) chopped tomatoes
- 1 can (15 oz) black beans, rinsed and drained
- 1 can (19 oz) chickpeas, rinsed and drained
- 1 can (8 oz) tomato sauce
- 1 cup peeled, seeded and cubed pumpkin
- 1 sweet red pepper, chopped
- ½ cup chicken broth
- ½ cup corn (frozen or fresh)
- ½ cup dried cranberries
- 1 Tbsp chili powder
- 1 tsp dried oregano
- 1 clove garlic, minced
- 6 large whole wheat/multigrain buns
- Olive oil for brushing
Prep and Cook
In Dutch oven or large heavy pot, heat vegetable oil over medium heat.
Add chopped onions and cook until softened.
Add all other ingredients, stir and bring to a boil.
Reduce heat to low and simmer, covered for 2 hours.
Check seasoning and adjust as needed.
If using a slow cooker, brown onions separately and then transfer to slow cooker before adding all other ingredients.
Cook chili in slow cooker on high setting for 5 hours or low for 10 hours.
Preheat oven to 350 degrees.
Using a sharp knife, cut about 1/2 inch off the top of the bun, then make the inside of the bun hollow by removing all but about 1 1/2 inches of bread.
Using a brush or spray bottle, apply oil to the inside of the bun.
Place buns on baking sheets and bake for 10-15 minutes or until lightly browned on the inside.
Remove from the oven and serve filled with pumpkin chili (or your favourite soup).