Beer’s not just for drinking you know… and the Irish have known for years the power of Guinness. And a can of the famous stout (or other dark beer) adds a richness to this classic Chili con Carne recipe that you won’t find with your average, everyday bouillon.
Serves 4 to 6
Guinness & Black Bean Chili Con Carne
- 1 vidalia onion, chopped
- 3 tbsp olive oil
- 2 tbsp ground cumin
- 1 tbsp dried oregano
- 1 tsp each sea salt and cracked black pepper
- 2 lb lean ground beef
- 2 tbsp smoked paprika
- 2 tbsp chili powder
- 4 tbsp malt vinegar
- 6 tbsp tomato paste
- 2 14oz cans of diced plum tomatoes
- 1 19 oz can black beans
- 1 can Guinness stout or other dark beer
- 2 cups sliced cremini mushrooms
- Steamed basmati rice (for serving)
- 1/2 cup sour cream
- 1 cup grated aged cheddar
- sliced green onions
Prep and Cook
- 1Heat olive oil in a large heavy saucepan or casserole dish.
Add onion and sauté until softened.
Add cumin, oregano, sea salt, and pepper and stir for 1 to 2 minutes.
Add ground beef and break apart with wooden spoon.
Continue to cook until beef is browned all over.
- 2Meanwhile, in a small bowl mix together malt vinegar, paprika, and chili powder to make a paste.
Stir into beef until well combined, about 1 minute.
Stir in tomato paste, diced tomatoes, beans, and can of guinness.
Add mushrooms if using and bring to a boil.
Reduce heat to medium low and allow chili to simmer for 1.5 to 2 hours, stirring often.
Add more beer or water if necessary.
- 3Spoon rice into the bottom of bowls, top with chili and serve with dollops of sour cream and lots of grated cheddar and sliced green onions.