I’m not the biggest sports fan you’ll ever meet, but I do live in a house with three boys so you can only imagine the amount of sports talking, watching, reading, and playing that we do in our home. Hockey and football are the sports of choice, but we’ve also been known to invest our time in baseball, golf, and soccer. And now that the World Cup is in full swing, it seems to be all about the soccer these days.
It’s no secret that we like to celebrate the small things’even soccer games’and four years ago I came up with the idea of topping our burgers to match the team that we were each cheering for. This can be done for family dinner, or better yet, invite some friends over for a backyard barbecue and serve up a burger buffet based on the teams that are playing that day.
If you’re looking for some themed inspiration, here is what I would serve on my International burgers:
- The French Burger – Dijon and rosemary infused turkey burgers topped with brie and roasted garlic aioli
- The Mexican Burger – Chipotle mayo and jalapeno pepper-topped beef burgers with Monterey Jack cheese
- The Greek Burger – Oregano and feta stuffed lamb burgers topped with tomatoes, black olives, and tzatziki
- The Italian Burger – Beef burgers topped with marinara, provolone, mozzarella and basil
- The English Burger – Stilton cheese beef burgers with gherkins
- The American Burger – Cheddar cheese, bacon, lettuce and tomato topped beef burger
- The Brazilian Burger ‘ Beef and chorizo patties topped with cheese, avocado, tomato, ketchup, and an over-easy egg.
- The Portuguese Burger ‘ Chimichurri spiced-burgers topped with fried cabbage, tomato, sweet relish and homemade aioli on a butter-toasted bun.
- The German Burger ‘ Turkey burger topped with grainy mustard, Gouda cheese, sauerkraut, and bread and butter pickles on a potato roll.
- The Japanese Burger ‘ Teriyaki-glazed pork burger laced with ginger, scallions, garlic and sesame topped coleslaw.
There is no Canadian burger, as Canada isn’t represented in the World Cup, BUT Canada Day is fast approaching, and this AAA bite-size beef burger topped with Canadian cheddar will fit the bill perfectly.
Would you cheer for the country you like best or the burger that sounds the most appetizing? What would you put on your World Cup burger?