9 Ways to Serve Roasted Cherry Tomatoes
Summer eating practically demands simplicity, and with so much fresh produce in season this time of year, it’s easy to oblige. Whether you’re cooking a casual weeknight family dinner, or entertaining friends on the weekend, putting delicious food on the table should almost always be an easy task.
Cherry tomatoes are an excellent way to add colour and nutrition to your warm-weather plates. They are available in abundance right now and roasting them yields something extra special, delivering a sweet and caramelized tomato candy that can be used to jazz up many simple dishes for dinner in the coming months.
This past weekend, I served a batch of quickly roasted tomatoes over pieces of lightly toasted baguette that had been smeared with Boursin cheese. It was an instant party appetizer that will make an appearance several times this season, I’m sure of it.
Here are a few other ideas I have for serving this simple yet sophisticated vegetable at my table in the coming months:
- Slice fresh mozzarella cheese into 1/8-inch thick slices and layer over a platter. Top with the cooled roasted tomatoes, a hearty dose of the oil from the baking tray, salt and pepper, and fresh basil.
- Toss with warm pasta and fresh herbs for a quick and easy weeknight dinner.
- Add them to scrambled eggs or mini quiche for a quick breakfast or casual lunch. (Also makes a great toddler meal)
- Place a single roasted tomato on top of crackers that have been smeared with goat cheese.
- Use to garnish hamburgers instead of traditional tomato slices.
- Drizzle pizza dough with olive oil, top with roasted tomatoes and fresh mozzarella or feta, and cook or grill. Garnish with fresh basil before serving.
- Use as part of an antipasto platter and serve with olives, pickles, meats, and cheeses.
- Combine with capers, artichoke hearts, and balsamic vinegar and spoon over grilled chicken or fish.
- Add to any roasted vegetable sandwich.
Get the full printable how-to for Roasted Cherry Tomatoes.