I’m starting to think about the small ways in which I’ll celebrate summer with my kids this year. At the top of their personal list is eating as much ice cream as possible, so we treated ourselves to a single cone last week at our favourite local scoop shop. It cost me a whopping $14 for three cones and quick math calculation told me that if I did that twice a week through the summer season’and who am I kidding, because it could be a few times more than that, I’m sure’I’d spend more than $300 on ice cream alone this season.
So instead, I think we’re going to purchase our ice cream and make our cones at home. Of course, it doesn’t thrill the kids quite like a trip to their favourite frosty treat shack, so in order to make up for the fun and faux flavours of traditional ice cream parlours, we’ll be making chocolate-dipped cones to add a little fun to our favourite summer snack.
You can use either regular or sugar cones, and the openings are dipped into melted chocolate and decorated with a smattering of sprinkles. The kids can do this themselves, which is a great way to keep them busy when boredom sets in. The sprinkles can be customized to match a party theme or even the colour of the ice cream, and feel free to use crushed nuts, coconut, candies, popcorn and/or seeds in lieu of the sprinkles.
Homemade Chocolate-Dipped Ice Cream Cones
Makes 12 cones
- 8 oz. semi-sweet chocolate
- 12 regular or sugar ice cream cones
- ½ cup assorted colourful
Prep and Cook:
- Melt the chocolate in a microwave or small bowl set over a pot of simmering water. As the chocolate melts, stir it until smooth and glossy. Be sure to use a bowl that allows for easy dipping.
- Pour a little melted chocolate into the bottom of the cone to seal it. Turn the cone upside down and dip the open end into the melted chocolate. Shake off the excess and cover the chocolate with sprinkles.
- Set the cones chocolate-end down on a piece of parchment paper and allow them to dry completely before using. They will firm up quickly in the freezer if you want to use them immediately.
- Store in an airtight container for up to 1 week.