Baked Shrimp in Tomato Feta Sauce
This recipe is brought to you by Hunt’s Heirloom Tomatoes but the images and opinions are our own.
- 2 tablespoons olive oil
- 1 small onion, diced
- 2 cloves garlic, grated or pressed
- 2 (398 mL) cans Hunt’s Heirloom Diced or Crushed Tomatoes
- 1 teaspoon kosher salt
- 1 teaspoon ground cumin
- ½ teaspoon dried oregano
- 1 tablespoon honey
- ¼ cup minced fresh parsley, plus extra for garnish (optional)
- 1 tablespoon minced fresh dill, plus extra for garnish (optional)
- 1 ½ lbs. raw shrimp, peeled and deveined (tails are fine)
- ¾ cup crumbled feta cheese (plus extra for garnish, optional)
Prep and Cook
- Preheat oven to 425°F. Set a 12-inch ovenproof skillet over medium-high heat and warm the oil. Stir in the onions and cook until softened, 3 to 5 minutes. Add the garlic and cook until fragrant, about 30 seconds more.
- Add Hunt’s Heirloom Tomatoes, salt, cumin, oregano and honey and stir to combine. Bring to a simmer, reduce heat and let simmer for 15 minutes or until the sauce thickens up a bit.
- Add the herbs and shrimp to the pan and stir to combine. Sprinkle with feta and transfer the skillet to the oven. Baked uncovered until the shrimp are cooked through, 10 to 12 minutes.
- Remove the skillet from the oven and garnish with fresh herbs and extra feta, if desired. Serve as is or spoon over brown rice.
- Note: Crushed tomatoes will make the dish more saucy, whereas diced tomatoes will yield a chunkier dish with less liquid.