Mayan Chocolate Cupcakes with Cinnamon Frosting
Makes 24 cupcakes
- 1 chocolate cake recipe (homemade or store-bought), to make 24 cupcakes
- 2 tsp ground cinnamon
- ¼ tsp chili powder
- ¼ tsp cayenne powder
- 5 cups icing sugar
- 2 cups butter, softened
- 2 Tbsp honey
- ½ tsp cinnamon
- Gel-paste food colouring
- Paper cupcake liners
- Piping bags
- Large star-shaped tip
- 24 large round white chocolate discs
- 24 white gumdrops
- ½ cup assorted coloured sprinkles
- ¼ cup icing, reserved from Mayan Chocolate Cupcakes with Cinnamon Frosting recipe
Prep and Cook
- Prepare the cake batter as per recipe. Add cinnamon, chili powder and cayenne to the batter and mix well. Divide evenly among 2 lined cupcake pans (12 cupcakes per pan) and bake as per recipe. Allow to cool completely before icing.
- For icing, sift the sugar into a bowl. Add butter, honey and cinnamon and blend with an electric or hand-held mixer, beating on high speed for 5 minutes, or until light and fluffy.
- Remove ½ cup of the frosting from the bowl and set it aside. Divide the remaining icing evenly between three bowls and tint each with gel-paste food colouring to desired colour, approximately ¼ teaspoon. Mix well.
- Fill a piping bag fitted with a large star tip with one of the coloured icings and decorate 8 of the cupcakes. Wash the bag and repeat with the remaining frosting and cupcakes.
- Print party signs. Cut out the words using scissors or a circle punch and attached each sign to a coloured toothpick using tape or a drop of glue. Insert into the cupcakes.
- Top with candy sombreros.
- Spread a small amount of icing on the bottom of a gumdrop and attach it to the centre of a chocolate disc. Repeat with remaining candies.
- Fill a piping bag with the remaining frosting and pipe frosting around the base of the gumdrop, and around the edge of the chocolate disc. Cover both sections with sprinkles and allow them to dry before placing on the cupcakes.