- 2 Tbsp olive oil
- 1 large sweet onion, diced
- 2 carrots, diced
- 2 celery stalks, diced
- 8 cups broccoli florets
- 1 L chicken stock
- 2 Tbsp butter
- 3 Tbsp flour
- 1 ½ cups milk
- 1 cup grated cheddar cheese
- Kosher salt and black pepper
- 1 Tbsp lemon juice
- 2 10-inch whole-wheat tortilla wraps
- 1 Tbsp olive oil
- Pinch of cumin
- Pinch of salt
Prep and Cook
- 1To make the soup, heat the oil in a large pot set over medium high heat. Add the onions, carrots, and celery and sauté until softened, about 6 minutes.
- 2Add the broccoli and chicken stock and bring to a boil. Reduce heat, partially cover, and simmer until the vegetables are tender, about 10 minutes.
- 3Puree the soup using an immersion blender. Feel free to leave it slightly chunky, if desired, or alternatively you can blend it until completely smooth.
- 4Meanwhile, melt the butter in a small saucepan over medium-high heat. Whisk in the flour and cook for 1 minute. Add the milk and stir well; simmer until slightly thickened. Stir in the cheese until melted. Whisk the sauce into the soup.
- 5Heat to warm through and season with salt and pepper. Add the lemon juice and stir. Serve warm.
- 6To make the crackers, preheat the oven to 350°F and line a baking sheet with parchment paper. Cut a broom shape out of the tortilla wraps (you should get four brooms per wrap). Slice the triangular bottom into thin strips to resemble the broom bristles. Mix together the oil, cumin and salt and brush over the crackers. Bake for 5-7 minutes or until crisp. Serve with the soup.
Tagged under: halloween food,witchy broccoli brew with broomstick crackers,halloween broccoli brew