These potato pancakes are delicious enough for a toddler to eat and fabulous enough to serve to guests.
- 2 russet or Yukon Gold potatoes
- 1 crisp apple
- 1 small onion, peeled
- Salt and pepper to taste
- 1 large egg, beaten
- Vegetable oil for frying
- Sour cream, for topping
- 1 egg, poached (optional)
Prep and Cook
- 1Peel and core apple, peel potatoes, then place both in a bowl of cold water.
- 2Using a cheese grater, grate potatoes, onion and apple.
- 3Place together in a tea towel and squeeze out excess water over the bowl.
- 4In a mixing bowl, mix potato, apple, onion, salt and pepper and egg together until blended.
- 5Heat a large non-stick skillet over medium heat with enough oil to coat the bottom of the pan.
- 6Spoon out about ¼ cup of potato and apple mixture and shape into balls; place in the skillet and flatten with a spatula for even cooking.
- 7Cook pancakes on both sides (and edges) until golden brown, approximately 4 minutes per side.
- 8Remove pancakes from the pan and drain on paper towel.
- 9Serve immediately with your choice of toppings: a poached egg, smoked salmon, a dollop of sour cream or apple sauce, etc.