Ridiculously easy to make, baking up a daily batch of rustic crusty bread seems almost too good to be true. But it isn’t.
- 3 cups all-purpose flour
- 3 cups whole-wheat flour
- 1½ Tbsp kosher salt
- 3 cups warm water
- 1½ Tbsp yeast
- 2 Tbsp honey
Prep and Cook
- 1Combine the flours and salt and set aside.
- 2Combine the warm (almost hot, but not too hot to touch) water, yeast and honey, and allow to rest until the yeast is foamy, about 5 minutes.
- 3Add the wet ingredients to the dry and stir with the end of a wooden spoon. Cover with a tea towel or plastic wrap and allow the dough to sit at room temperature for 2 to 3 hours. Transfer to the fridge and leave for an additional 3 hours or up to two days.
- 4When you’re ready to make the bread, preheat the oven to 425°F. Place a parchment-lined uncovered Dutch oven (or baking sheet) inside the oven while it heats, and leave the pot in there for an additional 30 minutes.
- 5While the pot is heating, remove half of the dough from the fridge and place it on a flour-dusted work surface. Shape it into a ball, adding more flour as needed. Make a deep “x” in the top of the dough with a serrated knife. Allow the dough to rest for 30 minutes.
- 6Open the oven and place the ball of dough in the hot pot. Cover with a lid and bake for 30 minutes. Remove the lid and bake for an additional 25 minutes.
Tagged under: bread,no-knead bread,bread recipe,easy bread