- 1 9” cake from cake mix or recipe
- 2–3 cups white icing
- Orange gel-paste food colouring
- Assorted candies including googly eyes, gumball eyes, gummy rings, M&Ms, candy melts
- #32 star tip
- Piping bag and coupler
Prep and Cook
- 1Prepare cake as per package/recipe directions and bake in a well-greased oven-proof bowl. Allow cake to cool completely before icing.
- 2Transfer cooled cake to a cake stand or platter. Combine icing and the orange gel-paste food colouring until the desired colour is reached. Affix the star tip to the piping bag using the coupler and fill bag with icing.
- 3Starting in the centre of the cake, pipe long lines (about 1”) straight up and out. Pipe close together and cover cake completely. This makes the ‘hair’ of the monster. It doesn’t need to be perfect and the more disheveled the icing looks, the better.
- 4Allow it to dry for 1–2 hours.
- 5Assemble candy eyes by using the white decorator icing to attach candies together. Insert pairs of eyes throughout the body of the monster, placing the largest ones at the top of the cake.