- ½ lb bacon, diced
- 1 small onion, diced
- 2½–3 lb chicken pieces, bone-in
- Kosher salt
- Freshly ground black pepper
- 2 cups red wine
- 2 cups chicken stock
- 1 clove garlic, minced
- 2 tsp fresh thyme leaves
- 1 bay leaf
- 4 Tbsp butter, softened
- 2 Tbsp all-purpose flour
- ¾ lb cremini mushrooms, quartered
Prep and Cook
- 1In a large Dutch oven, cook bacon over medium heat until fat has been rendered and bacon is browned. While bacon is cooking, rinse chicken and pat dry with a paper towel. Season both sides with salt and pepper.
- 2Remove bacon from the pot and transfer to a paper towel-lined plate. Leaving fat in the cooking dish, add chicken pieces skin side down and cook until golden brown. Add onion and stir to combine.
- 3Turn chicken over, adding the bacon and wine and scrape the bottom of the pan to loosen brown bits from the bottom. Add chicken stock, garlic, bay leaf and thyme and stir to combine.
- 4Cover with a tight-fitting lid and simmer chicken over medium-low heat for 35–40 minutes or until chicken is tender and ‘falling off the bone.’
- 5Remove chicken pieces and set aside on a plate.
- 6Turn heat to medium-high and cook liquid until reduced by half.
- 7In a small bowl, blend 3 tablespoons of butter and flour into a smooth paste. Whisk into sauce until the lumps are gone. Cook sauce for 2–3 minutes or until glossy and coats the back of a wooden spoon.
- 8In a separate skillet, heat 1 tablespoon of butter and add mushrooms. Cook until tender and lightly browned.
- 9Add mushrooms and chicken to the pot and stir gently.
- 10Serve with hot butter noodles, rice or boiled potatoes.
Similar Related Posts:
- May 10, 2017
The Best Gift for a New Mother Is a Home-Cooked Meal
Whether you're dropping off a 'sympathy supper' or a dish for a busy new mother, these recipes travel and reheat beautifully.
- January 30, 2017
4 Surprising Dishes You Can Make in a Slow Cooker
From a four-ingredient lasagna to an impressive restaurant-quality dessert, these recipes will force you to rethink how you use your slow cooker, and introduce you to a few inspiring ideas you'll be sure to come back to time and time again.