As you read this, I will be lounging by the fire in one of my most favourite cozy outfits, reflecting on this past year and planning for the next. If you’re also in this mode, perhaps a few simple steps to start your year on a stylishly awesome foot will give you a big boost.
1. Create a savings account just for your wardrobe. Use this account to funnel money into each month and use that money to buy items just for you. It’s so easy to put everyone else’s needs before our own and say ‘I can’t afford that’ about things we want and need. With an account like this you’ll have guilt-free money to spend on yourself that’s already been worked into your budget.
2. Learn what shape you truly are so you can dress your body with confidence. I think this is especially important for moms so that we can instill great body image in our children, too. We need to understand and embrace the positive attributes of every body shape (I would say know how to dress for those assets) in order to feel great about ourselves. Feeling good about ourselves helps our children do the same.
3. Donate (with love) any pieces you aren’t wearing. So often our mindset when donating items is that we’re ‘dumping them’ in a donation bin. Instead, if your frame of mind is that you are giving pieces graciously to people who can truly use them you will feel better about parting with things you no longer use.
4. Consider adopting a less is more mentality. This creates simplicity and ease. Simplifying when you have kids creates sanity. Use the technique in #3 to get rid of anything in your closet you’re not using regularly and/or doesn’t bring you immense joy.
5. Treat yourself to something special. When you are wearing something that feels really, really special because you saved for it and/or treated yourself you’ll feel a great sense of accomplishment.