Rice cereal and apples are some of the best first foods for babies, and when mixed with a mashed hard-boiled egg it makes for a nutrient-packed breakfast your baby will love.
Baby Egg, Apple and Rice Cereal
TIP: Short on time? Instead of preparing your own apple purée, use a jar or squeeze pouch of baby apple purée instead.
Yield: ¾ cup
Servings: 1 serving
Prep Time: 5 minutes
Cook Time: 12 minutes to boil egg, 30 minutes to steam apples
Total Time: 35 minutes
- 2 apples, peeled, cored and diced
- 1 large egg
- 2 Tbsp (30 mL) prepared baby rice cereal or baby oatmeal (suitable for 6-month-old baby)
Prep and Cook
- 1Steam or boil diced apples until very tender. Drain if necessary and mash or purée until you have your desired consistency. Let cool, then place in a sealed container in the fridge until ready to use.
- 2Meanwhile, place your egg in a small pot and cover with cold water. The water should be about an inch or so higher than the egg. Cover the pot with a lid. Over high heat, bring your egg to a rolling boil.
- 3Remove from heat and let stand for 12 minutes.
- 4Drain water and immediately run cold water over egg until cooled. Rapid cooling helps prevent a green ring from forming around the yolks.
- 5Peel egg and place in a bowl. Mash very well and set aside.
- 6Prepare baby rice cereal according to package directions, mixing until you have your desired consistency.
Combine mashed egg with ¼ cup (60 mL) apple purée and 2 Tbsp (30 mL) prepared baby rice cereal in a bowl. Mash together well until you have your desired consistency. Add a little breast milk or formula to thin if you like.
Nutritional Information Per Serving:
- Hard-boiled egg, 1 large
- Apples, cooked without skin, 1/4 cup slices
- Healthy Times Organic Whole Grain Oatmeal Baby Cereal (by PIRALITAH), 2 Tbsp
- Calories 130.6
- Total Fat 6.2 g
- Saturated Fat 1.6 g
- Polyunsaturated Fat 0.8 g
- Monounsaturated Fat 2.0 g
- Cholesterol 186.0 mg
- Sodium 62.4 mg
- Potassium 123.1 mg
- Total Carbohydrate 11.9 g
- Dietary Fibre 1.5 g
- Sugars 5.8 g
- Protein 6.9 g