Add a spice blend for extra flavour.
- 1 whole chicken, washed and dried
- 1 Tbsp olive oil
- 3 Tbsp roast chicken spice blend
Prep and Cook
- 1Preheat the oven to 425° and line a rimmed baking sheet with aluminium foil.
- 2Drizzle olive oil over the chicken and rub into the skin, taking care to cover both sides of the bird. Cover the chicken with two tablespoons of the spice blend, sprinkling some inside the cavity and under the skin.
- 3Drain ¼ of the beer from the can (preferably by drinking it) and add remaining spice rub to the can. Place open can on baking sheet and slide the bird over the top allowing the legs to form a tripod shape. Transfer to the oven and cook for 30 minutes.
- 4Reduce the heat to 350° and continue cooking until the internal temperature reaches 165°, about 1 hour. Remove and loosely cover chicken with foil. Allow to rest for 10-20 minutes before carving.
- 5To cook chicken on the BBQ, prepare the grill for indirect heat by placing charcoal to one side and leaving the other side free. In the case of a gas grill, fire up half the burners, leaving the others unlit. Place the chicken on the gill, (on the side with indirect heat), cover and leave for 1 hour. Check, refresh the coals if necessary and continue cooking until a thermometer inserted into the thickest part of the thigh registers 160-165°, about 1 ½ hours total.
- 6If the juices don’t run clear when the meat is pierced the chicken is not fully cooked.