Honestly, what could be more YUM than Potato Leek Soup with Cheddar Bacon Toasties?! It’s time to get cooking 🙂
- 4 slices thick-cut bacon
- 2 leeks, white and green parts only, roughly chopped
- 1 medium Spanish onion, diced
- 1 Tbsp fresh thyme leaves
- 3 medium Yukon gold potatoes, peeled and diced
- 1 litre chicken stock
- 1 cup light cream or milk
- Salt and pepper
- 4 1-inch thick slices of baguette, cut on a bias, toasted
- 4 oz. Irish cheddar cheese, grated
Prep and Cook
- 1Set a wide Dutch oven over medium heat.
Place the bacon in the bottom of the pot and cook until it reaches the desired crispiness, or about 4-6 minutes.
Transfer the cooked bacon to a paper towel-lined plate and set aside.
- 2Add the leeks and onion to the pot, reduce the heat to medium-low, and cook until completely softened, about 20 minutes.
Add the thyme leaves, potato pieces and chicken stock and bring the soup to a boil.
Partially cover, reduce the heat to low and simmer for 30-40 minutes or until the potato pieces are fork tender.
- 3Meanwhile, when the bacon has cooled, chop it into fine pieces.
Remove the saucepan from the heat and puree the soup.
Add the cream to the pot and stir to combine.
Taste the soup and season with salt and pepper, if desired.
- 4Preheat the broiler.
Divide the soup evenly between four oven-safe bowls.
Top each serving with a piece of bread, and some of the grated cheese and chopped bacon. Transfer bowls to a rimmed baking sheet and place in the oven.
Cook until the cheese is golden brown about bubbly, about 2 minutes.
Tagged under: bacon,potato leek soup,cheddar bacon toasties,irish food