Maple syrup season is officially here despite the late start to the season. Everywhere I look I’m seeing maple-infused something, from donuts and salad dressings to specialty milks and sweet frostings, and this natural sweetener seems to be the flavour du jour.
I love maple syrup as much as the next person, and lately I’ve been using it to infuse steamed milk with a subtle sweetness that makes the warm beverage feel like a decadent treat. Despite slightly warmer days, these early spring evenings are still cool and instead of winter’s warm cocoa, we’re drinking this lighter comforting concoction.
The beauty of this drink is that it can also be used to make homemade lattes (tea or coffee-based) for the adults in your family. To do so, fill your mug halfway with your favourite tea or coffee, and then add equal amounts of the warm maple milk, filling the cup to the top.
Are you fond of maple syrup? What’s your favourite way to use this natural sweetener (other than pancakes, of course)?
- 5 cups milk (any kind will do)
- 3-4 Tbsp pure maple syrup
- 1 tsp vanilla extract
- ½ tsp ground cinnamon or cardamom (optional)
Prep and Cook
- 1Heat the milk until warm and steamy. If you have a milk frother use this to warm and froth your liquid. Stir in the maple syrup, vanilla, and spices (if using) and whisk to combine.
- 2Divide evenly between four cups and serve immediately.